I have failed hugely with my blog so far, so this is my attempt at making more of an effort!
I’ve been working on roughs for ‘Captain Bones and the Mermaid Queen’. Its been a toughie but I am beginning to at last make headway. These are the first two spreads,showing just sections of them. I’ve done more than this- but I’m still tinkering..
This is the first spread introducing Captain Bones and his motley crew on their shipwreck. The boxes at the top are where the text will go. The skeleton pirates were quite hard to characterise as a lot of character elements I would have added for a human pirate were not possible e.g earings and no ears! (but I managed to get them in anyway!)
This is a section from the following spread. It shows the pirates off to gatecrash the mermaids party, Lazy Bones asleep in a barrel and Sid the Squid hiding in the shadows. I’ve tried to show the shipwreck as a cross section (without it looking naff!)
I tend to do quite detailed roughs as I don’t want the publishers to get any surprises when they receive the artwork. I use concentrated watercolours and so its hard to make any changes once I’ve painted it-unless its a patch, which I’d rather not do unless I have to.